- 15 Jan 2023
- All Day
Sheffield Microscopy Certificate Course 2023
Following the successful courses we ran in 2015, 2017 and 2019 Covid interrupted our biennial cycle in 2021. We are pleased to report that we are re-launching this course to run through 2023. The course is designed to mirror the highly acclaimed course that has been run in Harrogate by the Harrogate & Ripon Beekeepers’ Association and we are grateful for the assistance and support they provided to help us offer the course in Sheffield.
The course will take participants through the entire syllabus of the BBKA Microscopy Certificate, showing them how to set up a microscope, extract and identify pollens from honeys, check bees for diseases, and make slides – preparing candidates for the assessment that takes place in November.
The majority of the training will take place at the Sheffield BKA Apiary:
JG Graves Woodlands Discovery Centre, Ecclesall Woods, Abbey Lane, Sheffield S7 2QZ
All sessions start at 1000 and end at 1300 but we have booked the training room for the whole day on all but the first session to give course participants the opportunity to practise in the afternoon what they have learnt in the morning.
The course fee is £150. The first meeting will take place Sunday 15 January 2023 when discounted purchases on microscopes and related equipment will be on offer.
Meetings are scheduled to take place on the following dates:
- Sunday 15 January 2023, 1000-1300 : Initialisation meeting: outline of the course, advice on microscopes and other purchases, discount offers, demo on how to collect pollen and preserve it for mounting later
- Sunday 12 February, 1000-1700
- Sunday 19 March, 1000-1700
- Sunday 16 April, 1000-1700
- Sunday 21 May, 1000-1700
- Sunday 2 July, 1000-1700
- Sunday 23 July, 1000-1700
- July and August and September: Slide making homework.
- Sunday 1 October, 1000-1700 Revision, check slides.